Honey Wheat Bread
At a glance
2 large loaves
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup warm buttermilk (110-115 degrees)
1/3 cup butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2 Nature's Yoke eggs (beaten)
1 teaspoon salt
3-4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. In large mixing bowl, combine the oatmeal, warm buttermilk and softened butter. Add yeast mixture.
2. Add the whole wheat flour, maple syrup, honey, wheat germ, eggs and salt, beating on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a firm dough. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise until double in size.
4. Punch the dough down and shape into 2 loaves. Place in greased loaf pans and let rise until doubled.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe is super good when using Prairie Gold whole wheat flour.